Stressed? Try these 5 Yoga Postures!
While yoga as such is a great stress buster and brings in a sense of calm, there are some postures (asanas, as they are called) that are more effective than others in relieving stress.
Dr. Terri Kennedy, registered yoga teacher and president of Power Living Enterprises, Inc. sharing her views with The Huffington Post said,
Yoga helps us slow down for a moment and tune into the breath. Simply the focus on one thing — which is the very definition of meditation — allows us to decompress. The actual asanas [poses] release tension in different ways, and help certain parts of the body.
Some of the asanas as per Terri, which are more effective stress busters, are:
- Balasana – seated child posture; this helps to put the mind in a meditative state
- Bridge Pose – Setu Bandha Sarvangasana – this pose is known to reduce nervousness, fatigue, backaches, headaches and sleeplessness. In many cases it has shown therapeutic effect in case of high blood pressure too.
- Uttanasana –Standing Forward Bend
- Savasana – Corpse Pose. It may seem to be an easy pose, but many are unable to remain still and lie down. This is a great pose to calm down the mind and slow down the breathing.
- Utthita Trikonasana – Extended Triangle Pose – A great full body stretch, this pose works as a superb stress-reliever too.
No matter which pose you are doing, try and learn the right way to do it from a certified yoga teacher, because if an asana is not done properly, you can end up hurting yourself real bad.