What is Trimethoprim+Sulphadiazine (Tribrissen)?
This combination medication is an antibiotic used to treat urinary tract infections including those infections that affect the bladder and kidneys. The dosage and length of treatment is based on your medical condition and response to therapy. Antibiotics work best when the amount of medicine in your body is kept at a constant level. Therefore, take this drug at evenly spaced intervals. Continue to take this medication until the full-prescribed amount is finished even if symptoms disappear after a few days.
This drug is commonly sold as Brand Name Tribrissen.
Indication/Contraindication for use of Trimethoprim+Sulphadiazine (Tribrissen)
- Bacterial diarrhoea.
- Hypersensitivity to Sulphonamides.
- Renal, urinaryand respiratory tract infection.
- Gonorrhoea, otitis media, skin infections.
- Osteomyelitis, skin infections, septicaemia.
- Pregnancy, lactation, jaundice blood dyscrasias, renal impairment, neonates.
Side Effects of Trimethoprim+Sulphadiazine (Tribrissen)
Crystalluria, allergic reactions, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea.
Dosage and Prescribing Information for Trimethoprim+Sulphadiazine (Tribrissen)
Adults and children above 12 yrs: 1 tab twice daily 6-12 yrs: 1/2 tab twice daily.
Precautions while prescribing Trimethoprim + Sulphadiazine (Tribrissen)
- Test blood regularly in long term therapy high fluid intake should be maintained.
- Not recommended if creatinine clearance less than 15 ml/min and in elderly patients.
- Folate deficiency.