What is Triclofos?
Triclofos belongs to category of potentiates the cns depressants like sedative, barbiturates drugs. Triclofos is a type of chloral sedative.
It is a well tolerated & effective non barbiturate sleep promoting agent conspicuously free from tendency to cause ‘hang over’ & other side effects. Triclofos is a sedative drug used rarely for treating insomnia, usually as a second-line treatment after other drugs have failed. Triclofos may cause dependence and should not be withdrawn suddenly.
Indication/Contraindication for use of Triclofos
- In paediatrics e.
- Insomnia, requiring a mild, nonbar biturate, sleep promoting agent
- Marked hepatic or renal impairment or cardiac disease teething and fretfulness, recurrent colic with persistent crying, excitability and restlessness, difficult feeding, convulsions, etc.
Side Effects of Triclofos
- Skin rash, usually scarlatiniform or morbiliform L disturbance.
- Mild headache or G,
Dosage and Prescribing Information for Triclofos
Adult: 1 gm (10 mi) 30 mins before retiring. Children: 250 mg500 mg . (2.5 ml5 ml) 30 mins. before retiring.
Drug Interactions of Triclofos
Potentiates the CNS depressants like sedative, barbiturates.
Precautions while prescribing Triclofos
- Elderly: Reduced dose may be necessary
- Concurrent use of monoam ine oxidose inhibitors, or C depressants such as alcohol, barbiturates or other sedatives.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machiner
- Pregnancy & Lactation: Use with caution
- Triclofos can give false positive result in sugar tests of urine sample
- Paediatrics: Safe