What is Pyrantel pamoate (Pin-X)?
Efficacy against Ascaris, Enterobius and Ancylostoma is high. Pyrantel cause activation of nicotinic cholinergic receptors in worms, resulting in persistent depolarization, leading to slow developing contracture and spastic paralysis. Worms are expeled. Pyrantel pamoate (under US Pharmacopoeia) or Pyrantel Embonate (under European Pharmacopoeia), is used as a deworming agent in the treatment of hookworms (all species) and roundworms in domesticated animals such as horses, cattle, sheep, pigs, cats, dogs, and many other species. It is a combination of pyrantel and pamoic acid. This drug is commonly sold as Brand Name Pin-X.
Indication/Contraindication for use of Pyrantel pamoate (Pin-X)
- Single or mixed infections of round worm, threadworm, hookworm, trichostrongyus species.
Side Effects of Pyrantel pamoate (Pin-X)
- Headache, dizziness and other G
- I upsets, occasional rash.
Dosage and Prescribing Information for Pyrantel pamoate (Pin-X)
10 mg/kg body wt in single dose. Severe necator america-nus infecion: 10 mg/kg body wt. Once daily for 3 days. Children below2 yrs (under 10 kg): 100 mg a day, 2-7 yrs (10-20 kg): 200 mg a day, 8-14 yrs (21-40kg): 400 mg a day, Children above 14 yrs (41-60 kg): 600 mg a day, above 60 kg : 800 mg.
Drug Interactions of Pyrantel pamoate (Pin-X)
Mutually antagonistic with piperazine.
Precautions while prescribing Pyrantel pamoate (Pin-X)
- In patients with liver dysfunction.
- Concurrent administration with piperazine.
- Lactation: Use with caution.
- Pregnancy: Contraindicated.
- Paediatrics: Not recommended in age below 1 year.