Piracetam (Nootropil and Breinox) Side Effects, Indications, Interactions, Dose Prescribing Information
What is Piracetam (Nootropil and Breinox)?
Piracetam belongs to category of anti emetics drugs. Piracetam is a type of anti emetics.
Piracetam is a nootropic agent i.e. a psychotropic drug which improves directly the efficiency of the higher epencephalic functions of the brain involved in cognitive processes such as those related to learning, memory, thought and consciousness, both in normal and deficient situations, without being sedative of psycho stimulant. Piracetam exerts those various activities by different ways of action: it modulates brain neurotransmission, promotes metabolic conditions for neuronal plasticity & improves microcirculation through antispasmodic & haemorrheological properties, without being a vasodilator. Piracetam is a cyclic derivative of GABA. It is one of the racetams. Piracetam is prescribed by doctors for some conditions, mainly myoclonus, but is used off-label for a much wider range of applications.
Indication/Contraindication for use of Piracetam (Nootropil and Breinox)
- Cerebral vascular accidents and cerebral insufficiencies, ischemic or even hemorrhagic acute accidents.
- Hypersensitivity, severe renal impairment, hepatic impairment.
- Behavior and psychotic problems in old age.
- Mental retardation in children.
Side Effects of Piracetam (Nootropil and Breinox)
Epigastric distress, CNS stimulation, dizziness, excitement, skin rash, sleep disturbances, diarrhea, depression, weight gain.
Dosage and Prescribing Information for Piracetam (Nootropil and Breinox)
Adults: 800 mg three times a day. Children: 50 mg/kg bodywt in 3 separate doses. Once the desired result has been obtained, reduce the initial dose by half.
Drug Interactions of Piracetam (Nootropil and Breinox)
Inhibits and reverse suckling of RBCs.
Precautions while prescribing Piracetam (Nootropil and Breinox)
- Paediatrics: Reduce dose according to weight/age.
- Impaired renal or hepatic functions, cardiac disorders.
- Elderly: No special problem.
- Pregnancy & Lactation: Use with caution.