What is Nalidixic Acid (Cybis and Dixiben)?
Nalidixic acid is a type of urinary tract antibacterial agents. Nalidixic acid belongs to category of anti-infective agents, urinary drugs.
It has high bacteriostatic and bactericidal activity against infections caused by Gram negative organisms. Nalidixic acid is effective against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. In lower concentrations, it acts in a bacteriostatic manner; that is, it inhibits growth and reproduction. In higher concentrations, it is bactericidal, meaning that it kills bacteria instead of merely inhibiting their growth.
This drug is commonly sold as Brand Name Cybis.
Indication/Contraindication for use of Nalidixic Acid (Cybis and Dixiben)
- Acute and chronic urinary infections produced by susceptible Gram negative species: cystitis, pyelonephritis, prostatitis, postpartum pyelitis, urethritis and trigonitis.
- Convulsive disorders, first trimester of pregnancy.
- In chronic and resistant infections, initial therapy should be followed after several weeks by a second course of treatment coli and Proteus.
- Hypersensitivity to nalidixic acid.
- Urinary stasis, which can aggravate and prolong urinary infections, should be corrected (surgically, if necessary).
- Intestinal infections, diarrhea and dysentery especially when produced by Salmonella, Shigella, E.
Side Effects of Nalidixic Acid (Cybis and Dixiben)
- Decrease in visual activity and double vision,skin rashes, blood dyscrasias, convulsions, photo sensitivity, intra cranial hypertension.
- Drowsiness, weakness, headache, dizziness and vertigo.
Dosage and Prescribing Information for Nalidixic Acid (Cybis and Dixiben)
1 gm 6 hrly. Children: 55 mg/kg body wt daily in divided doses. All for at least 7 days. Not recommended for infants below 3 months.
Drug Interactions of Nalidixic Acid (Cybis and Dixiben)
Enhances effect of oral anticoagulants, antagonizes nitrofurantion. Serious G.I.T. toxicity with melphalan. Food delays absorption. Probenecid prolongs half life. Chlorpromazine and perphenazine potentiates anti bacterial effect.
Precautions while prescribing Nalidixic Acid (Cybis and Dixiben)
- Caution with Patients of hepatic and renal impairment, epilepsy or cerebral arteriosclerosis.
- Blood counts, renal and liver function tests should be performed periodically if treatment is continued for more than two weeks.
- Avoid undue exposure to direct sunlight.
- Pregnancy: Contraindicated.
- Lactation: Contraindicated.
- Elderly: No special problem.
- Paediatrics: Reduced dose necessary.
- Not recommended below 3 months.