What is Ginseng (Panax ginseng)?
Ginseng is a type of plant product. Ginseng belongs to category of ginseng preparation drugs. It is a traditional medicine and is being used the world over for prophylaxis against ageing and disease. It has anti fatigue, antistress and CNS stimulant properties. It has been demonstrated that Ginseng increases both physical and mental efficiency. Enhances the recuperative power of body and strengthens the body by augmenting its capacity to increase nonspecific resistance to various stressful influences. It also helps to alleviate sleep disturbances.
Ginseng, also known as Ginnsuu in some regions of Asia, mainly China, is any one of eleven distinct species of slow-growing perennial plants with fleshy roots, belonging to the Panax genus in the family Araliaceae.
Indication/Contraindication for use of Ginseng (Panax ginseng)
- Stressful conditions like convalescence from prolonged illness, debility, physical and mental stress and chronic alcohol intake
- Reduced mental and physical efficiency, fatigue, exhaustion, nability to concentrate or sleep and irritability.
Side Effects of Ginseng (Panax ginseng)
Diarrhoea, nervousness, skin rashes, sleepness, hypertension, euphoria, oedema, ginseng abuse syndrome, weakness of tremors.
Dosage of Ginseng (Panax ginseng)
1 cap daily. Syrup: 10 ml daily.
Drug Interactions of Ginseng (Panax ginseng)
No significant interaction.
Precautions while prescribing Ginseng (Panax ginseng)
- Hypertension, gradual withdrawal.
- Pregnancy: Use with caution.
- Lactation: Use with caution.
- Elderly: Safe
- Paediatrics: Contraindicated