What is Astreptomycin (Kantrex)?
A major disadvantage and cause of failure of streptomycin therapy is the development of bacterial resistance especially when used over a long period. The addition of other anti tubercular drugs reduce the speed with which bacteria become resistant to streptomycin. It is absorbed very well and rapidly from i.m and subcutaneous sites. Drug is distributed in all the extra cellular fluids and about one third in plasma is bound to protein. Generally the effect of these drugs on hearing is profound, although their effect is of course related to the dosage. Since physicians are well aware to the hearing from these drugs, large doses are prescribed only when urgent as a life-saving measure.
This drug is commonly sold as Brand Name Kantrex.
Indication/Contraindication for use of Astreptomycin (Kantrex)
- Diseases of ear, particularly suppurative otitismedia, labyrinthine disturbances.
- Plague, tuberculosis, tularaemia, subacute bacterial endocarditis, meningitis, brucellosis.
Side Effects of Astreptomycin (Kantrex)
Anaphylactic shock, nephrotoxicity, ototoxicity, skin rash, fever, aplastic anaemia and agranulocytosis, ataxia, eosinophillia, optic nerve dysfuriction.
Dosage and Prescribing Information for Astreptomycin (Kantrex)
The single dose of stroptomycin is usually 1 gm/day for 2 to 3 months in severe forms of tuberculosis, such as meningitis and disseminated disease, followed by 1 gm two to three times weekly for remainder period of treatment.
Drug Interactions of Astreptomycin (Kantrex)
Potentiates nephrotoxicity produced by other aminoglycosides, vancomycin and some cephalosporins. Potentiates ototoxicity produced by other arninoglycosides and ethacryanic acid. Plasma levels increased by indomethacin, H1 receptar blockers .incompatible with acids and alkalies. Synergism with benzylpenicilline.
Precautions while prescribing Astreptomycin (Kantrex)
- Pregnancy: Contraindicated.
- Lactation: Contraindicated.
- Paediatrics: Contraindicated.
- Impaired liver or kidney function, premature infants, possibility of resistance, skin sensitisation and impairment of vestibular and auditory functions.
- Elderly: Reduced dose necessary.