At the recent Cure Panel Talk Show broadcasted live on 29th November 2012, Dr. James Berenson shared his views on myeloma treatment options and how he thinks, ‘less is more’, when it comes to treating patients afflicted with myeloma.
For those not aware, Dr. Berenson is the doctor to the ‘stars’! He has his private practice in West Hollywood, California and has specialized in the treatment of patients with multiple myeloma, MGUS, amyloidosis, Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia and metastatic bone disease. Dr. Berenson has played a very significant role in improving the quality of life and increasing the life span of his patients, afflicted with myeloma. He is the founder, President and Medical and Scientific Director of the Institute for Myeloma and Bone Cancer Research and President of Oncotherapeutics (corporation which is responsible for conducting clinical trials related to myeloma and metastatic bone disease as well as other cancers throughout the United States).
What is it that makes Dr. James Berenson different from his peers who also treat myeloma patients? It is his philosophy, that not just the bone marrow cancer, which needs to be treated, but the overall well-being of the patient also needs to be taken care of.
He is one of the few specialists, who do not believe that surgery is the best option for myeloma. It was the death of a close family member that triggered Dr. James Berenson interest in myeloma 30 years ago. And ever since then, Dr. Berenson has been involved in many of the major breakthroughs that have brought new treatments for patients with these diseases resulting in both an improvement in the length and quality of their lives.
Sharing his view at the Cure Panel Dr. Berenson said,
Treatment is about the whole patient and not just about the bone marrow cancer. Even in the year 2012, we are not able to just touch the cancer, and leave the patient alone. So, ‘less is more’ is what I believe. Reducing risk of neuropathy, saving the patients nervous system, saving his bones and also help him maintain his mental health, are of extreme importance to me. The key is to let people, ‘live their lives’. I believe that too many drugs and aggressive chemotherapy is not the answer.
Dr. James Berenson is one of the few doctors, who think of the patient holistically. Would you like to know more of what he talked about?
Listen in here to the Cure Panel Talk Show Broadcast.
- ‘Let People Live Their Lives!’ Listen to Dr. Berenson on Myeloma Treatment without Transplant – Cure Panel Talk Show Broadcast
- Dr. James R. Berenson on Myeloma Cure Panel in November, Registrations Open
- UPDATES: November 29th Myeloma Cure Panel Talk Show Overbooked, Thanks All For Your Support and Take a Peek at the Questions to be Discussed
- Multiple Myeloma Specialist Dr. James Berenson will discuss Multiple Myeloma disease control Without Transplant on the Myeloma Cure Panel 11/29/2012 Broadcast
- Myeloma Cure Panel Featuring Myeloma Expert, Dr. Berenson, @ 6pm EST on 29th November is Running a Full House