The wonder spice In Indian curry, curcumin found in turmeric and curry spices, have now been found to help people with pre-diabetes. Curcumin has been a favorite with alternate medicine researchers and has a load of scientific evidence in support. The latest study on curcumin finds that it can prevent diabetes in high-risk patients.
A team of Thai researchers found that a daily dose of curcumin for a period of 9 months prevented occurrence of diabetes in pre-diabetic people. The lead author of the study was Somlak Chuengsamarn of Srinakharinwirot University and the study involved,
- 240 Thai adults with prediabetes
- participants were either administered curcumin capsules or placebo for a period of 9 months
- 19 people in the placebo group developed type 2 diabetes
- None in the curcumin group developed diabetes
- Researchers found that curcumin supplementation improved beta cell (cells found in the pancreas that release insulin) function.
- Researchers speculate that anti-inflammatory property of curcumin may be protecting beta cells from damage.
The study has since been published in the journal Diabetes Care.
Curcumin can fight inflammation and oxidative damage to body cells, and thus has been found to have strong anti-cancer properties, (among other benefits). It is a much accepted form of supplementation among the cancer survivor community. As CureTalk, readers may be aware that we are following multiple myeloma and during my web browsing exercise for interesting info, I have come across many myeloma patients who take curcumin supplements.
The most interesting and significant research/reports on curcumin is included in the blog, Margaret’s Corner. Margaret is a myeloma patient and has been taking curcumin supplements successfully; her blog has a good collection of curcumin literature and scientific support data.
I am thrilled with the latest study on curcumin since I fall into the high-risk group for diabetes and have had a bout of gestational diabetes too, so maybe curcumin could help people like me, and prolong the occurrence of type 2 diabetes.
- Multiple Myeloma and Curcumin. Margaret’s Curcumin Protocol Included
- Diabetics Living Longer! Survey by CDC And NIH
- Weighing Pros/Cons Of Taking Curcumin To Help Fight Multiple Myeloma: Theory Of Occam’s Razor Provides Clear Answer
- More Positive News For All Of You Curcumin Junkies Out There…
- The Spice: Curcumin and Myeloma (Part Two)