Lymphoma is a cancer of lymph cells. Lymph cells are also called lymphocytes. Lymphocytes are a type of blood cells that are known as white blood cells (WBCs). Lymph cells are found in blood and lymph nodes. In lymphoma, some lymph cells become abnormal, start multiplying quickly and grow to form a cancer. Cancer cells in lymphoma mainly gather in lymph nodes. As the cancer cells grow and multiply, the lymph nodes enlarge and form lumps. This cancer is detected as painless lumps in the neck, armpits or groin. Lymphoma is not a single cancer. There are many types of lymphoma but they are usually separated into two main categories: Hodgkin’s lymphoma and Non Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
1. Hodgkin’s lymphoma: Hodgkin’s lymphoma is cancer of the lymph tissue found in the lymph nodes, spleen, liver, and bone marrow.
2. Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma covers a far more broad range of cancer cells. There are about 30 different types of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. These types of lymphoma can be difficult to diagnose as there are so many types.
Sign and Symptoms of Lymphoma
Lymphoma symptoms can be variable because there are so are many different types of lymphoma. Below given are some signs and symptoms of Lymphoma:
• Fever of unknown origin
• Night sweats
• Unexplained weight loss
• Lack of energy
Life Expectancy of Lymphoma
According to the American Cancer Society, about 85 percent of people in the first two stages of Hodgkin’s lymphoma live for five years after diagnosis. According to Lymphoma.org, the five-year survival rate is 63 percent for those patients with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. However, life expectancy for both types of the disease depends on many different factors like, the overall health of the patient, treatments used and the stage of the disease.
Listed below are some clinical trials investigating new treatments for Lymphoma.
- Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma Clinical Trials and Treatments under Research
- Recurrent Mantle Cell Lymphoma Clinical Trials, Research Investigators and Treatments
- Blood Cancer (Leukemia) Prognosis (Life Expectancy)
- Liver Cancer Prognosis (Life Expectancy)
- List of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Clinical Trials, New Treatments