A recent article addressed a very common but ignored problem of bad breath as known as Halitosis. It is estimated that 90 million Americans suffer from bad breath and a countless number of innocent bystanders and significant others suffer the consequences. The common belief is that bad breath is caused by bad teeth but it is actually caused by the toungue. A quick self diagnosis involves checking the color of your tongue. A pink tongue is a sign of clean breath but a white and scaly tongue could indicate bad breath which could have social consequences and would not be the best thing while kissing your significant other.
According to Dr. Harold Katz, bacteriologist and founder of the California Breath Clinic, you should lick the back on your hand and let it dry and then smell it to determine if you have bad breath. An estimated 600 bacteria are found in the mouth and many of those are trapped under the tongue causing bad breath.
There are ways you can prevent it from happening to you.
- Saliva is very effective against bacteria in the mouth. Staying hydrated is the easiest and the most effective way to prevent it. A dry mouth is an ideal breeding ground for odor causing bacteria. So drink plenty of water.
- Reduce consumption of high odor food like Eggs, Fish, Onion and garlic
- Eat dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate
- Acidic beverages like Soda, Beer, Wine and Coffee also add to the cause
- Green tea and Cinnamon are excellent food to kill bacteria
- Chewing fruits like apple serves a dual purpose. It keeps the mouth hydrated and the texture scrapes the bacteria away
Don’t let bad breath lower your self confidence. Simple steps can take care of the problem.