Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a type of disease that afflicts the synovial joints (the most common form of movable joints in our body) resulting in joint pain and inability to move the affected limb. RA is a auto-immune disorder, in which the cartilage tissues lining the joints get swollen, stiff, and painful. This inflammation of the cartilages, over time affects the joint tissues, worsening the joint pain and inability to move the limb.
Symptoms of Rheumatoid arthritis includes pain, stiffness, and swelling in the joints of hands and legs including the wrist, finger, elbow, shoulder, knee, ankle, and toe joints. As the disease progresses, the pain and stiffness more often limit the ability of a person to perform daily activities using their limbs, making walking and use of hands highly difficult.
RA is the most common cause of disability and loss of quality of life in people over the age of 40 year in the US. The incidence of RA is almost 3 times more common among women than in men and the symptoms usually being between the ages of 40 yrs to 60 yrs. Since, Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder, the exact cause of the disease is not known; however, genetic predisposition is purported to be a risk factor
No cure for Rheumatoid arthritis is available at present, and the treatment schedules available aim at providing symptomatic relief and preventing progression of the disease. Since, early diagnosis of the disease is essential for preventing life time disability and sustaining quality of life, there is an urgent need for further medical research in this field to develop better diagnostic procedures, screening techniques and more efficient treatment schedules.
Fortunately, Rheumatoid arthritis is the focus of over 180 active clinical trials currently in the United States. Of these, 15 trials are in Phase I, 40 trials are Phase II and 30 trials are Phase III clinical trials (read more about what the different phases of a clinical trial mean and how they differ). Currently 195 different interventions being investigated through the various rheumatoid arthritis clinical trials, which are being performed and managed in over 735 cities by 430 different clinical trial investigators.
Rheumatoid Arthritis clinical trials interventions
- Tocilizumab [Roactemra/Actemra]
- Tocilizumab [Roactemra]
- Placebo Every 2 Weeks
- Placebo Every 4 Weeks
- Fostamatinib Disodium(Fosd)
Sites/Medical Centers doing Rheumatoid Arthritis Clinical Trials
- Investigational Site
- Altoona Center for Clinical Research
- Arthritis Treatment Center
- Metroplex Clinical Research Center
- Investigational Site Number 840218
- Investigational Site
- Research Site
- Desert Orthopaedic Center
- University of Colorado
Clinical Trial Investigators for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Janice Driskell (Investigational Site)
- Zachary Leitze, M.D. (Rimrock Orthopedics)
- Lew Schon, MD (MedStar Health Research Institute at Union Memorial Hospital)
- Tracy Frech, MD (University of Utah)
- Charles M. Stein, MD (Vanderbilt Clinical Research Center)
- Ryan Krupp, MD (Norton Orthopaedic Specialists)
- Jan Burger, Site 006 (The University Of Texas Md Anderson Cancer Center)
- Teresa Hughes (Investigational Site)
- Vishala Chindalore, M.D. (Pinnacle Research Group, LLC)
- John S. Early, MD (Texas Health Research & Education Institute)
- John J Cush, MD (Baylor Research Institute)
- Hubert Riegler, MD (Lattimore Orthopaedics P.C.)
List of Clinical Trials for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Do you suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis - Las Vegas
- A Rheumatoid Arthritis Clinical Research Study
- PPAR-gamma Agonists Rheumatoid Arthritis and Cardiovascular Disease
If you or your friend or family has rheumatoid arthritis, then you may want to find a clinical trial. You can use the rheumatoid arthritis clinical trials tool to find a medical study near you.
- Shaquille O’Neal and Phil Mickelson Suffer from Arthritis, but You Can Prevent it!
- List of Cardiovascular (Heart Disease) Clinical Trials, Investigational Treatments and Invetigators
- List of Anemia Clinical Trials and Treatments Under Research
- List of Alzheimer’s Disease Clinical Trials, New Treatments and Investigators
- List of Neuroblastoma Clinical Trials, Treatments, Investigators and More