Jenny McCarthy, whose career took off as a stunning Playboy model, became an autism activist when her son, Evan was diagnosed with autism in 2005. Dan Marino, one of the greatest NFL quarterbacks of all time, established the Dan Marino Foundation after his son Michael was diagnosed with Autism in 1992. Autism is a developmental disorder that affects the development of social and communication skills of a person. Autism, are the three disorders in the Autism spectrum (ASD). Although the exact causes of autism are not fully determined, it is one of the most researched conditions. There are over 50 clinical trials currently active in the US to find cures for autism, some of which are:
- Clinical trial to test effect of Acupressure and Acupuncture as an Intervention With Children With Autism II
- Clinical trial to evaluate efficacy of Intranasal Oxytocin in the Treatment of Autism
- Clinical trial to determine effectiveness of aripiprazole and D-Cycloserine in treating children with autism
Research has also shown that Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton, two of the greatest scientists suffered from autism to some level. Over the years, Jenny McCarthy has helped increase the awareness and provide help for families affected by Autism through for Talk About Curing Autism (TACA). She also written a book on the subject called Louder than Words: A Mother’s Journey in Healing Autism. Dan Marino has also teamed up with other celebrities including NFL great Doug Flutie (whose son also has an autism diagnosis) to raise awareness of Autism. (Earlier celeb posts on drug addiction, pancreatic cancer, hot flashes, uterine fibroids, parkinson’s, HIV/AIDS, Prostate Cancer, diabetes, depression, sleep disorder, throat cancer and others).
- Remembering President Ronald Reagan’s fight against Alzheimer’s Disease, and giving a shout out to the clinical research for new treatments!
- Kylie Minogue beat breast cancer, you can too!
- Connecting the NFL, Super Bowl and Colon Cancer Clinical Trials
- What do Dan Snyder, Sofia Vergara and Rod Stewart and Roger Ebert have in common? 4 words: They overcame Thyroid Cancer!
- Patrick Swayze said about Pancreatic Cancer, "Cure and It’s impossible will never go together"